The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Evangelist is the oldest Anglican church in the Far East and held its first Sunday service on March 11,1849. It serves as the cathedral of the Diocese of Hong Kong Island and mother church to the Province of Hong Kong and Macao. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Hong Kong.
On the morning of December 8,1941, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese attacked Hong Kong and eventually occupied it until 1945. During this time, the cathedral was converted into a club for the Japanese with many of the original fittings stripped out, including the original stained-glass windows.
On September 9, 1945, the first service after the arrival of the Royal Navy was held in the Cathedral.
During the summer of 2018, a new Allen GeniSys™ custom console was installed in the Cathedral as part of a renovation project.
St. John's Cathedral is one of five cathedrals in Hong Kong and was declared a monument of Hong Kong in 1996.