Consecrated in 1737, the Hedvig Eleonora Kyrka (church) was Stockholm's first parish church. Known for its octagonal design, the church was named after Hedvig Eleonora who was Queen of Sweden from 1654-1660. The pipe façade from 1762 contains no original pipes and the organ console has been replaced several times during its lifetime.
In the spring of 2018, a new Allen GeniSys™ digital & pipe combination console was installed and interfaced with the existing pipes. In addition to the Allen Keyboards, the organ is equipped with GeniSys Voices - High-Definition contemporary instrument and organ sounds that can be used in conjunction, and coupled, with the digital organ stops.
The organ, mainly used for church liturgy and to play Baroque works, will also utilize the digital sounds to play more contemporary works. The new combination pipe & digital console includes over 200 stops with 79 ranks of pipes making this organ the largest among the Nordic countries. Hedvig Eleonora Church is most popular for weddings, christenings and funerals.
Photography by B. Holben