Allen Organ Company Museum Tour
Early Analog Years: 1937 - 1958

-- continued


speaker
Large speaker used in early
experiment of 32' Pedal Stops
During the Early Analog Years:
• 1947: Allen installed the world's first three-manual electronic organ in St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Catasauqua, Pa. Years later, when a fire in the church damaged that organ, it was replaced with a new three-manual Allen digital organ.
• 1949: full-range, high-fidelity stereo audio equipment was incorporated in Allen installations. These tone cabinets incorporated 15" and 12" speakers plus special horn tweeters for the projection of the highest frequencies. Speakers were also placed on the baffle of the Gyrophonic Projector. During this time, the Allen was the only electronic organ available which spanned this wide range of musical frequencies.
• 1950: "Purely Electronic Carillon," "Harp Percussion" and sustain effects were introduced. Not only were the sounds authentic, the Carillon could be connected to outside speakers for a fine low-cost outdoor Carillon.
Allen Organs to be built to last

• 1952: "Chromatic Voicing" was introduced.
• 1954: Allen built the first four-manual electronic organ.
• 1955: Allen developed the first electronic 32' stops used with pipe organs. The first electronic 32' was designed by Allen in 1950 for Leopold Stokowski, and was used to augment the double bass section of the Houston Symphony.
• 1956: An Allen organ was chosen for an outdoor concert at the American Guild of Organists Convention in New York. This was Allen's first nod of approval at the national level from this distinguished group of musicians.