Allen Organ Company Museum Tour
Early Analog Years: 1937 - 1958

-- continued


The Move to Macungie

The Move to Macungie
Because of product demand, Allen experienced rapid growth in the 1950s and 1960s. In 1953, an air-conditioned silk mill was purchased in Macungie, Pennsylvania, and the Company's manufacturing was relocated to the site. This facility became the first air-conditioned commercial woodshop in Pennsylvania. Today, with about 250,000 square feet of manufacturing facilities, Allen is the largest organ builder in the world.
First Self-contained Console
Model S-12

Model S-12 (1954)
The S-12 was a low price home organ with full-sized keyboards and a 25-note pedalboard. It was the first electronic organ with drawknob stop controls. These stops were connected to the contact system by choke cables and operated like a choke control commonly found on automobiles well into the 1950s.
First Self-contained Console
This Model S-5, built in 1950, was the first Allen to include self-contained tone generation. Its compact nature made the instrument popular for installations in which space was at a premium.
tone generator wiring station

A tone generator wiring system produced at the early Macungie factory.